ECLAC countries agree on the urgency of bold actions to achieve the SDGs by 2030

Diversity & Sustainability
| 09 May 2023

During the Sixth Meeting of the Latin American and Caribbean Forum on Sustainable Development, representatives from 33 Latin American and Caribbean countries agreed that bold and transformative actions to accelerate and correct the course toward the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) should be promoted as a matter of urgency. The meeting took place from April 25th to 28th at the headquarters of the Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (ECLAC) in Santiago, Chile.  

The theme of the event was “Accelerating post-pandemic recovery from COVID-19 and the full implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development at all levels” and brought together more than 1,000 participants, among them government delegates and representatives of international organizations and the United Nations System. At the end of the meeting, country representatives approved a final document reaffirming their commitment to effectively implement the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. The eradication of poverty in all its forms and dimensions is among the priorities highlighted in the document, being the greatest challenge the world faces and an indispensable requirement for sustainable development. 

Despite being only seven years away from 2030, only a quarter of the goals have been met or are expected to be met by then. ECLAC estimates that only 25% of the targets for which information is available show a behavior that allows them to foresee their fulfillment in 2030. The other 75% of the targets are at risk of not being met unless decisive action is taken to get them back on track. 


Source: Países da América Latina e Caribe concordam com a urgência de ações transformadoras e ousadas para alcançar os Objetivos Globais até 2030 | As Nações Unidas no Brasil